Kärevere lahing (Battle of Kärevere) 25-29 August 1944

Eestiga ja Eesti üksustega seotud lahingud ...
Vasta
BornGinger
Kasutaja

Kärevere lahing (Battle of Kärevere) 25-29 August 1944

Postitus Postitas BornGinger »

Hello to all members of this foorum and especially to those members who are able to help me with answers to my questions.

I was reading a bit about the battle of Kärevere where the Estonian police battalions 37 and 38, one battalion from the 5 Waffen-SS brigade "Wallonien" and one battalion from the 47 regiment of the Estonian 20 SS-division had the objective to push back the Soviet troops from the 118 Rifle Division towards the south bank of Emajõgi river and blow up the bridge to prevent them from, or at least to make it harder for them to, cross the river again.

Soviet documentation from an artillery unit mentions a brick factory close to a forest on Leetsi mtsv. (does mtsv. mean something like maantee which would mean highway?) through which they apparently moved one of their anti-aircraft batteries which they positioned close to the bridge. Where was this brick factory?

The same soviet documentation also mentions three Tiger tanks which threatened their units. Is there any Estonian documentation that corroberates the use of Tiger tanks in this battle or could the Soviet soldiers who reported the three Tiger tanks have mixed them up with three Panzer IV tanks? The Americans sometimes mistook the Panzer IV for a Tiger and maybe the Soviets sometimes did that too.

According to Wikipedia, or some other website, the 5 SS-brigade advanced from Kärkna towards Kärevere with the support of four tanks of which two were knocked out which caused this advance to halt. Is there any Estonian documentation which mentions whether these four armored vehicles were tanks, and also what type of tanks, or maybe actually were assault guns of the type Stug III or Stuh?

And is there any Estonian documentation which mention how many tanks, and type of tanks, or assault guns the Estonians and Germans had as support in this battle and also how many tanks, and type of tanks, or assault guns the Soviets had in this battle?

I know that there is a book in Estonian about this battle and there are most likely articles in Estonian newspapers and magazines about it maybe with former soldiers telling their memories about this battle. I have tried to find information in Russian about this battle but found almost nothing, just as their is almost nothing to find in Russian about the Sinimäe lahing.

So I hope there are members, or at least one, on this foorum with knowledge about this battle who wouldn't mind sharing what he/she knows and maybe even be able to answer my questions above.

Petrus
oliver
Huviline

Re: Kärevere lahing (Battle of Kärevere) 25-29 August 1944

Postitus Postitas oliver »

Mtsv. - metsavaht - ranger, forester, forest guard - a men who guards the forest.
skulmars
Huviline

Postitus Postitas skulmars »

Soviet documentation from an artillery unit mentions a brick factory close to a forest on Leetsi mtsv.

Probably mtsk - metskond - forest district
http://sakala.ee/kogume-pärandit
BornGinger
Kasutaja

oliver kirjutas: R Veebr 05, 2021 9:26 am Mtsv. - metsavaht - ranger, forester, forest guard - a men who guards the forest.
viewtopic.php?p=89224#p89224 This picture shows these mtsv. mentioned (Taki mtsv. and Sopi mtsv.). So they are connected to people working in the forest? All right, thanks. Then there's just a few other questions needed to be answered.
BornGinger
Kasutaja

An Estonian article that mentions Tiger tanks during this battle. So it seems that Soviet artillery officer was correct in mentioning Tiger tanks that attacked his AA battery.

http://www.kool.ee/?6873

According to that article and also the Wikipedia article about the battle, the 37 and 38 Police Battalions and a regiment of some of those Estonians that had fought in Finland pushed back the Soviets from the north bank of Emajõgi. The article also mentions that there were 282 Soviet divisions around Tartu at the time. That seems a bit much but could maybe be true if it isn't a way to tell how "heroic" those Estonians were.
Vasta

Mine “Üksused & Lahingud/Units & Battles”